Food Safety Issues/unrefrigerated chicken sausage

I'll be carrying with me some fully cooked chicken franks on my journey.

How long can it last without getting spoilt. Can I keep it in the freezer after reaching my destination?

Hi PV,

Since you indicated that the chicken franks will be unrefrigerated, the maximum amount of time that they can be considered safe to consume would be four hours.  

Is there no way you can carry the franks in an ice chest surrounded by ice?  If so, the franks would probably stay very cold for 24 hours and would be safe to either refrigerate or freeze at your destination.

Spoilage and food borne illness are 2 different things.  Spoilage is caused by food organisms which give off indication they are present by changing the flavor, texture, and/or color of the product.  Food spoilage organisms are not unsafe to consume but may be hiding food borne illness organisms which do not give off any indication they are present and can make you very sick.

I hope you are able to find a way to keep your chicken franks cold during your journey so that they remain safe to consume.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville