Food Safety Issues/Boxed chicken broth/stock

Hi, I bought a box of chicken stock and forget the bag in the car for a day and a half. It is summer in Ohio (high 80 degrees) is it safe to use?  THank you!!

Hi Lisa,

Chicken stock in a box has been processed in an aseptic (sterile) package which is equivalent to canning in a can or glass jar.  While it is not recommended to store both aseptic or canned foods in a hot environment for long periods of time, a short stint in your car should not affect either the quality and safety of the chicken stock.

I would mark the box so that you know that it was the one subject to the heat of your garage and when you do open it up, pour some in a measuring up and observe it for any off color, smell or taste. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, then I would not use the product.  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville