Food Safety Issues/Smoked sausage green beans and potatoes

Question
I cooked a big pot of smoked sausage green beans and potatoes and it was accidentally left out over night. Is it safe to eat? Our AC is kept on 69.

Answer
Hi Terrie,

The problem is you can't tell if food that can easily support the growth of harmful bacteria is still safe to consume after being temperature abused. (ie -- left in the Danger Zone (41 to 135 degrees F for an extended period of time)

What we do know is that foods like meat, vegetables, fish, dairy, and poultry have the capability of supporting the growth of harmful bacteria when given the right temperature (between 41 and 135). And we know that some of these bacteria can produce a toxic waste product as they grow and that this waste product is not destroyed by heat.  Thus, reheating a food that has been at room temperature overnight is not automatically made safe by simplying reheating.

Until we are able to tell if a food that has sat out overnight is still safe (and one day we will be able to do this) the advice is to not take a chance and pitch the food.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt