Food Safety Issues/alfredos sauce

Question
hi just wanna know if is still good to use my alfredos sauce in a jar not open yet, byt the expiration si on july 17,2015 can i use if until august 12 2015? thanks

Answer
Hi Camille,

The date on can goods is a "best if used by" date and not an expiration date.  This date means that the manufacturer guarantees that the product will be of the best quality if used by this date.  It has nothing to do with safety since as long as the jar is not compromized in any way (lid not opened or seal on jar is damaged) the contents will remain safe to consume for years.  

However, the quality of the product will start to deteriorate over time.  This deterioration could include changes in color, flavor and texture. While these changes are not harmful to consume, they just are not as fresh tasting and looking as younger canned foods.  

After all...only women and some wines get better with age -- canned goods don't!!!

I would have no concerns with using the alfredo sauce as long as the jar is sealed and it shows no signs of color change.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt