Food Safety Issues/Frozen Prime Rib Roast (for 3 yrs)

Question
Hello - we have in the oven currently, a 2 and 1/2 lb prime rib roast that's been in our freezer since December 2012.  We had it in at 475 degrees for 20 minutes, and now it's "low and slow" - I sure hope it is okay to eat because it smells pretty good.  Is it safe to eat?

Answer
Hi Jen,

As long as the prime rib roast was continuously frozen it is safe to cook and consume.

Freezer guidelines are designed for quality, not safety.  In other words, the longer that a food is left in the freezer the quality (taste, color, texture) decrease.  Food that has been in the freezer for years is safe to consume, but the taste, color and texture will probably not be as good as food that has been frozen for less time.

Here's hoping your prime rib is delicious.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt