Food Safety Issues/Noodle kugel
Just got home from Cleveland kinda warm out today friend gave me a noodle kugel was baked. Was in car 10hrs when I got home ate two small pieces and stomach starting hurting.is it true it wouldn't hit me right away if it was bad.and is it okay to eat after long trip remember it was made with dairy and apples and raisins.can I get deathly I'll or will I be okay.
It is never recommended to consume a food which requires refrigeration to keep it safe to eat like Noodle Kugel when it has been out of refrigeration for 10 hours. Noodle Kugel normally contains a large number of eggs and other dairy products, all of which require refrigeration in order to remain safe to consume.
Symptoms of nausea, vomiting, explosive diahhrea that come on very quickly (as quickly as 30 minutes) after consuming a food is usually associated with a foodborne itoxication such as Staphylococcus aureus (Staph for short). Staph is a common bacteria that can be tranferred easily to food by people's hands. Staph has the capbility of producing a toxic waste product that if consumed can give you the above symptoms very quickly. The good thing about Staph is once it is removed from the body (by either vomiting or diahhrea) it is out of the body and symptoms will subside. Staph intoxication usually comes on 30 minutes to 6 hours after consuming a tainted food. Staph toxin is not deactivated by heating so heating a food that has been temperature abused (such as a Noodle Kudel in a car for 10 hours) will not make it safe to eat. Thus the recommendation to not consume foods that require refrigeration or heat to keep them safe if they have been in the "Danger Zone" -- 41 to 135 degrees F - for more than 4 hours.
For more information about Staph -- please see: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/staphylococcus_food_g.htm
I hope by the time you read this response your symptoms have subsided and that you are on the mend.