Food Safety Issues/food poisoning

After I ate a double whopper at burger king, I started vomiting up the hamburger approximately 3 hours later. Anything I really put in my stomach now just comes right back out. Liquids, food, anything.

Hi Taua,

It is entirely possible that you are experiencing a case of foodborne illness but without laboratory analysis it is impossible to know for sure. If you were feeling fine and then suddenly became ill it is possible that you are experiencing a foodborne intoxication such as Staphaloccus aureus -- one of the most common causes of sudden vomiting, diarrhea, etc.  Since humans are the main source of Staph,, it is possible that the bacterial waste product was transfered to the hamburger through an infected food handler. There are many other foodborne intoxication bacteria so again, without laboratory analysis it is impossible to know for sure what was the cause of your vomiting.

By the time you read this I'm hoping your nausea and vomiting are behind you and you are now on the mend. That's the good thing about a Staph and other foodborne intoxication  -- once the toxin is out of your system you feel better.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville