Food Safety Issues/Hillshire Farms Tukery Polksa Kielbasa and butterball turkey bacon

Question
Products
Products  
we forgot to put away brand new packages of turkey kielbasa and turkey bacon. It was left unrefrigerated for about 4 hours and we put in in the fridge as soon as we noticed . Is it still safe to cook and eat ??

Answer
Hi Devon,

The recommendation for foods that can support the growth of harmful microorganisms such as meat products, is that they can be in the "Danger Zone" -- 41 to 135 degrees up to 4 hours before they should be pitched.  

Since your products were out of refrigeration very close to this recommendation, for safety I would pitch the products.

The problem is you can't tell by sight, smell or taste if the products are still safe to cook and consume.  While they may be perfectly safe -- they can also be harboring harmful bacteria or their waste product that can make you ill.  Some bacteria waste is not destroyed by heat so cooking a food that has been temperature abused is not a 100% guarantee that it is now safe to consume.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt