Food Safety Issues/canned broth

Hi!  I just opened 2 cans of College Inn Chicken Stock and them have
black stuff on the top around the rim on the inside of the can.  It almost looks
like oil and dissolves on my fingers if I rub them together.  I called the toll
free #, but they are not answering the phone as it is the weekend .Don't want
to be eating food contaminated with bacteria: )  Can you tell me if this is
normal?   I'm hoping I can still use
it as I need it for my recipe.

Hi Fran,

I know the dark, oily residue inside a can of chicken stock looks rather ominous, but actually this occurance is quite harmless. This residue is called a 'sulfide stain'. It is a result of a reaction of the broth to the lining of the can and is completely safe to use.

I had a question similar to this several years ago and the individual contacted the company who then sent them several coupons for free cans of chicken broth.  You might try calling College Inn and complaining and see if you too can get some free chicken stock.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville