Food Safety Issues/frozen food

Question
Jimmy dean sausage kept frozen with a use by freeze Daye of June26 2014 is it still good if kept frozen

Answer
Hi Zachary,

Yes, it is safe to eat foods that have been frozen for a very long time.  As long as the food was kept frozen, it is possible to eat it many years later.  

The real issue with frozen foods is that they do not get better in flavor, texture and color the longer they are kept frozen.  Freezer guidelines are given for foods to ensure the maximum quality of the food and does not have anything to do with the safety of the food.

Your Jimmy Dean Sausage is safe to defrost, cook and eat.  But don't be suprised if the sausage does not taste as good as younger sausage (has an old meat flavor).  This old taste does not mean it is not safe, just not as flavorful as fresher sausage.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt