Food Safety Issues/Listeria

Question
Hello Carol,
  I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and have a question about listeria. The other day I ordered a ham/beef pizza from Pizza Hut for dinner. Didn't finish the whole thing, so I put the remaining slices in the fridge. A couple of days later I pulled out the slices for lunch, and without thinking about it I ate them cold. My concern is the cold ham that was on the pizza. I know it is  pre cooked ham and then cooked on the pizza, but  still concerned about listeria because it was cold when I ate it.
        Thank You,
         Alicia

Answer
Hi Alicia,

The ham used on the pizza was a cooked product and as long as you consumed the pizza within 7 days of initial purchase there should not be an issue with Listeria.

Fortunately, most manufacturers of deli meats in the US have a very strict Listeria detection protocol which tests their products for any sign of this bacteria.  Products are tested and are not released to the public if any sign of Listeria is present.  This is why the recalls for deli meats and hot dogs has declined because products with any sign of Listeria never make it into the supply chain.  However, it is still recommended that pregnant women should only consume deli meats and hot dogs that have been heated since this bacteria can be killed by heat.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope everything progresses smoothly.

Happy New Year.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt