Food Safety Issues/Listeria concern in Worcestershire sauce with anchovies

Question
"Over the weekend I attended a birthday party and indulged in some Raising Canes (chicken restaurant in AZ) chicken strips and their secret sauce that contains Worcestershire sauce, which has anchovies in it. My question is do I need to be concerned about listeria with the anchovies in the Worcestershire sauce? I know Raising Canes sauce is not cooked and is mayo and ketchup based with spices and Worcestershire sauce. I am 30 weeks pregnant and was unaware that Worcestershire sauce contain anchovies.
-Alicia Spicer"

Answer
Hi Alicia,

No, I don't believe you need to be concerned about the anchovies in the Worcestershire sauce. The anchovies are cooked in the sauce and are not a raw product. To my knowledge, Worcestershire sauce has never been implicated with Listeria.

You should avoid raw or smoked seafood (including oysters, smoked salmon, sashimi and sushi) during pregnancy and I would not consume raw or smoked whole anchovies, though they are not mentioned specifically.

Best wishes to you.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt