Food Safety Issues/Bratwurst dated 2/4/16

Question
The package has been refrigerated and unopened.  Is is ok to cook and eat if it smells ok?  thanks, Fonya Helm

Answer
Hi Fonya,

The recommendation for ground meat products such as bratwurst is to refrigerate and use them within the date specified on the package (if it is a "best if used by" date).  If the date is a "sell by" date then the recommendation is to refrigerate and use the product within 2 days or freeze for future use.

With your refrigerated bratwurst beyond both of these dates, the recommendation is to not take a chance and dispose of the product.  Not smelling off odors is not a guarantee that the product is still safe as bacteria that cause food borne illness do not give off any indicators that they are present.  Off odors, flavor or texture are signs of food spoilage, which amazingly do not get you ill.

To be safe....pitch the brats.

Sorry.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt