Food Safety Issues/chopped deep fried garlic stored with minimal oil?

Is deep fried garlic bits in oil considered potentially hazardous food and that it must be held at proper holding temperatures?

Dear Mary Jo,

Since the garlic has been subject to heat before placing in the oil, the issue of C. botulism has been removed. The problem with garlic in oil is associated with fresh, raw garlic -- not garlic that has been subject to heat or accidification.

Keeping oil in the refrigerator will extend it's shelf life as room temperature oil goes rancid faster than refrigerated oil.  The oil will be cloudy and slightly thickened when refrigerated but will return to full liquid when brought out of refrigeration.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville