Food Safety Issues/Vacuum sealed deer sticks

Question
Hi!!  My husband and I are having a small disagreement on the safety of eating some deer sticks that are vacuum sealed, had been frozen, but due to the freezer quitting I am not sure if the deer sticks are still safe to eat.  We also had other packages of deer meat (roast, steaks etc) that were vacuum sealed but were totally thawed out and smelled terrible....that's what alerted us to the freezer not working.  Those packages took a hike to the garbage!!  He insists that the sticks are still ok though.  The sticks are fresh as we just got them from the guy who makes them from this seasons hunting trip.  Probably been in freezer for 2-3 weeks tops.  Not exactly sure when the freezer quit, but long enough for several packages of meat to thaw and smell, so don't now how long these sticks have been thawed. Don't now just what all they put in the sticks besides the deer meat and maybe some beef and pork and some kind of seasonings and cheese and such.  I will admit I am a "freak" when it comes to food safety.  If any doubt at all in my mind it gets pitched and I absolutely use nothing past an expiration date which also drives my husband crazy!! Totally freaked out by food poisoning!!  Any advice will help tremendously!!!  Thanks.  Deb

Answer
Tell your husband sorry but don't even think about consuming those "deer sticks". The rule is nothing is safe if it's potentially hazardous food if it is out of refrigeration below 40 degrees for more than 4 hours. If other meat thawed out and now smells it has certainly been out of refrigeration for more than 4 hours. There is a toxin risk here. It won't make the meat smell...if fact you wouldn't smell it at all! You can't remove toxins by further cooking or even microwaving. If there are beef and/or pork in the recipe that makes it even worse. Tell your husband all most all of the botulism poisonings now are from game meet, much of which was frozen after vacuum packing. Great question Deb. He's very lucky you were so insistent.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate