Food Safety Issues/buying expired sell by date

Question
I bought a cyrovac packaged pork roast on sale on 3/1/2016. I peeled off the top label and bottom label had sell by: 2/2/16.  That label had been discounted then another label on top was discounted again which I bought.  How safe is the Pork Roast from the constant re-labeling until sold?

Answer
Hi Drucilla,

Since the pork roast was in a vacuum package, the shelf life of the roast is much longer than ordinary plastic wrap used in most grocery store.  If the meat appears fresh, has good color, texture and no off odors when you remove it from the package the meat is still considered safe to consume.

With that said, it is rather unsetteling to find multiple dates and discounts on a piece of fresh meat with dates 27 days apart. The next time I was in that particular store I would talk with the store manager and/or meat manager about their relabeling policy. They should be able to explain the two stickers.  Better yet, if you still have the stickers I'd take them with you.

Here's a good article about food date labeling that may be helpful: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/sites/default/files/misc/FoodProductDating.pdf

Would love to hear how your discussion goes with the grocery store.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt