Food Safety Issues/Giovanni Roma Rana All Natural Marinara

I have the above marinara  sauce with a use by date of 3/05/16. There is no meat in it -- tomato products and spices, etc. Is it safe to eat or should I toss it?

Hi Marcella,

Your marinara sauce is a fresh packaged product that is designed to be used for highest quality by the use by date.  While this date is not a safety date, it does provide guidance on when the product should be used for both maximum quality and safety.

Since your product is 21 days past this date, the recommendation is to not consume the product. If you told me it was 1 week or less from the use by date, I would say it is safe to consume it if still looks, smells and tastes like a fresher product.  One week past the use date is the maximum amount of time I would feel safe with this fresh product.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville