Food Safety Issues/pre cooked sausage crumbles

Question
We left a bag of Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage crumbles unopened from the grocery on the counter accidentally and didnt find it until the next morning.   I put them immediately into the freezer until I could find out if they had to be tossed or could be salvaged.  Any chance they are ok or do I need to throw them out.  Thanks so much

Answer
Hi Michele,

The recommendation is to not cook or consume cold foods that require temperature or time control if they have been in the "Danger Zone" -- 41 to 135 degrees F -- for more than 6 hours (and never went above 70 degrees F.) Since your sausage crumbles were out more than 6 hours, the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the crumbles.

The unfortunate thing is that you can't tell if the crumbles are still safe to heat and consume.  Food borne illness bacteria do not give off any signals they are present -- so you can't tell by sight, smell or taste if a food that has been temperature abused is still safe to consume.  You could heat and consume them and nothing would happen. Or....you could have a nasty food borne illness.  You just can't tell, thus the recommendation on not taking a chance and pitching the temperature abused food.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt