Food Safety Issues/Salmon

I have some salmon that i bought at the store awhile back the sell by date is 11-14-15 its been in my freezer this entire time I was wondering is it still good to eat? I also have a thing of lobster claws and the sell by date is 12-01-15 and that's also been in my freezer this entire time is that still good as well?

Hi Danielle,

As long as food is continuously frozen, it is safe to eat. So food years old in the freezer is just might not taste very good!

Freezer guidelines are given for food for quality, not for safety.  The longer food is in the freezer it tends to dry out, giving an old, freezer burn taste.  While this is not unsafe to consume, it isn't the best tasting.

Only women get better with age...not frozen food.  So I suggest that you try to eat both the salmon and lobster claws soon.

What time is dinner?

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville