Food Safety Issues/Salmon

Question
I have some salmon that i bought at the store awhile back the sell by date is 11-14-15 its been in my freezer this entire time I was wondering is it still good to eat? I also have a thing of lobster claws and the sell by date is 12-01-15 and that's also been in my freezer this entire time is that still good as well?

Answer
Hi Danielle,

As long as food is continuously frozen, it is safe to eat. So food years old in the freezer is safe...it just might not taste very good!

Freezer guidelines are given for food for quality, not for safety.  The longer food is in the freezer it tends to dry out, giving an old, freezer burn taste.  While this is not unsafe to consume, it isn't the best tasting.

Only women get better with age...not frozen food.  So I suggest that you try to eat both the salmon and lobster claws soon.

What time is dinner?

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt