Food Safety Issues/Kirkland Red Grapefruit cups

Question
I have several red grapefruit cups dated Best By 12/3/15 .  Is the grapefruit safe to eat?  The color is still very red, it smells good.
Thank you,
Eve

Answer
Hi Eve,

As you are aware, the best if used by date is a date for quality not safety and is designed to let the consumer know how long they are guaranteeing their product with maxiumum quality.  The date also helps grocers in rotating their stock to make sure they are always selling products before the best if used by date.

Normally, I would say that an acidic fruit like grapefruit, would be safe to consume past the "best if used by date."  However 4 months past the "best if used by" date is really stretching it.  And given that Kirkland red grapefruit cups have recently been associated with a product recall if they had best if used by dates in early 2016, my recommendation to you is to pitch the slices.  

For a copy of the letter sent to customers who had purchased Kirkland Red Grapefruit Sections, please see:

https://m.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCABCCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/recalls/525244+KSgrapefruitCup-Recall-EN.pdf

So...for safety I'd pitch the cups.

Sorry...

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt