Food Safety Issues/Kirkland Red Grapefruit cups

I have several red grapefruit cups dated Best By 12/3/15 .  Is the grapefruit safe to eat?  The color is still very red, it smells good.
Thank you,

Hi Eve,

As you are aware, the best if used by date is a date for quality not safety and is designed to let the consumer know how long they are guaranteeing their product with maxiumum quality.  The date also helps grocers in rotating their stock to make sure they are always selling products before the best if used by date.

Normally, I would say that an acidic fruit like grapefruit, would be safe to consume past the "best if used by date."  However 4 months past the "best if used by" date is really stretching it.  And given that Kirkland red grapefruit cups have recently been associated with a product recall if they had best if used by dates in early 2016, my recommendation to you is to pitch the slices.  

For a copy of the letter sent to customers who had purchased Kirkland Red Grapefruit Sections, please see:

So...for safety I'd pitch the cups.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville