Food Safety Issues/food safety

Are fresh raw broccoli and asparagus safe to eat if they were refrigerated and then left out at 65 degrees for 8 hours?

Hi Deanna,

Fresh vegetables such as broccoli and asparagus actually do not need refrigeration and are often purchased both at grocery stores and farmer's market at room temperature.  Refrigeration does help to extend the shelf life and that is why we store fresh vegetables in the refrigerator after purchase.

So yes...your broccoli and asparagus are safe to eat raw (of course after washing), or washed and cooked.  You should do so fairly quickly since the longer they are left at room temperature the faster they will decline in quality.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville