Food Safety Issues/Freezing Liver/Cow Brains

Hi Carol,

It is possible to freeze the following items:
1. Liver or other organ meats,
2. Cow brains?

Dear Angel,

Yes, you can successfully freeze organ meats including liver and cow brains.  

The key to successful freezing is packaging the products so that no air can come in contact with the food.  Using freezer bags (and getting out as much air as possible) or aluminum foil are easy ways to keep the air out. If you purchase meats at the grocery store, you will need to over-wrapped, since the clear packaging is not moisture-vapor resistant. If you purchase film-wrapped meats from a meat packer, check to see if the wrap is a new heavy-duty film. If so, it needs no over-wrapping.  

If wrapped to keep out air, organ meats stay at a high quality in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. As long as they are wrapped to keep air out they will last and be safe to use much longer than 4 months but the quality will go down the longer the meat is held in the freezer.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville