Food Safety Issues/Frozen Vegetable Recall - listeria

Question
We found that we had some of the recalled frozen vegetable products in our freezer. We threw them away. It is hard to say where the product touched however in the freezer it was typically just the bag. What should we do other than throw them away? Is that enough or do we need to clean our entire kitchen? We clean the counters nightly. But as with any household kitchen, I'm unsure where we could have touched etc. It's been a few weeks since we used the products before we found out about the recall.

Answer
Hi Jessica,

According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) consumers should do the following with the recalled frozen vegetables in their freezer:

1.  Throw the recalled products away in a closed plastic bag placed in a sealed trash can. This will prevent people and animals from eating it.

2.  Wash the refrigerator or freezer area and any other areas where the recalled products were stored with hot water and soap.

3.  Wash your hands with warm water and soap after cleaning up.

For the entire article from the CDC, please see: http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/frozen-vegetables-05-16/advice-consumers.h

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt