Food Safety Issues/Kirklabd organic chicken stock

I have 4 (320z) containers stamped best used by 1/15/16 and I would like to know if I can still use them.

Hi Helen,

The "best if used by" date on the carton is a quality date stamp, not a food safety date.  The manufacturer places the date to help grocery stores to rotate their products and to help consumers to know that if they use the product by that date it should be at it's highest quality.

With that said, open the container and see if the chicken stock looks, smells and finally tastes like a fresher stock.  If so....use it.  If the color, flavor or aroma does not seem up to a fresher product, pitch it.  After all....only women get better with age!!

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville