Food Safety Issues/Canned soup left in hot car

I have a can of campbell's cream of mushroom soup in the glove compartment of my car for the last month. it's been quite hot lately in nevada. there is no rust, dents, or leaks. do you think it's still edible? thanks!

Hi Brooke,

Yes, the soup is safe to consume as long as the integrety of the can has not been compromised (no dents, bulging, leaks, etc).

Storing a can in a hot (100 plus degree environment)can increase the chances for food spoilage including color, flavor and texture changes so be sure to inspect the soup for quality changes before consuming. If you notice anything different from a soup not stored in a hot environment - play it safe and don't consume the soup.

In the future, it is best to store canned goods in a cool, clean, dry place where temperatures are below 85 degrees (between 50-70 degrees is good) but not freezing temperatures.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville