Food Safety Issues/corn beef

I have a sealed corn beef in its juices by Freirch in fridge with sell by date of June 4 2016 can I still use it?

Hi Paula,

The recommendation for regularly packaged beef roast that you purchase at the grocery store is to refrigerate and use within 5 days of purchase (or freeze for future use).  Since your corned beef was cryovac packaged this would increase the refrigerator shelf life by a few days -- up to 10 - 12 days past the sell by date.  

But you are now pushing 18 days past the sell-by date and the recommendation now is to not take a chance and pitch the meat.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville