Food Safety Issues/Frozen Chicken - Food Safety

Question
QUESTION: Hi Carl,

Is it safe to take a fried chicken breast that's frozen, move it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw, and then eat it as soon as it has thawed, without cooking it?

Also, can this be done with a grilled chicken breast?

Thank you,
- J

ANSWER: It is unsafe to eat raw chicken without cooking it to an internal minimum temperature of at least 165 degrees. It doesn't matter if it was frozen and thawed in a refrigerator. Raw chicken often contains salmonella bacteria and the only way to kill it is to cook the chicken thoroughly.

QUESTION: Perhaps I didn't phrase the question correctly. Assume the chicken was already cooked when it first went into the freezer. If, weeks later, I move the frozen (cooked) chicken to the fridge to thaw and then eat it as soon as it has thawed, are there any safety concerns?

Answer
Sorry, I see now that you originally said, "Is it safe to take a fried chicken breast that's frozen" I somehow missed the word fried! The answer is it is perfectly safe to thaw cooked chicken and eat it without further cooking. The rule is you should eat it within 2 hours after thawing. I originally thought, "who eats raw chicken!" so what I first thought was a ridiculous question turns out to be a very good question Jona. Believe it our not there is a newer sushi offering in asia...raw chicken and beef.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate