Food Safety Issues/Frozen Chicken - Food Safety

Hi Carol,

Is it safe to take a fried chicken breast that's frozen, move it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw, and then eat it as soon as it has thawed, without cooking it?

Also, can this be done with a grilled chicken breast?

Thank you,
- J

Hi Jona,

Yes, it is safe to defrost either a fried chicken breast or grilled chicken breast in the refrigerator and then consume it cold.  

If the chicken was initially cooked to at least 165 degress F, then frozen after cooling, then it is perfectly safe to consume the defrosted chicken without reheating it.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville