Food Safety Issues/Precooked ravioli

Question
Good afternoon. I have a sealed bag of artichoke and cheese ravioli that I picked out of the refrigerated section of the grocery store. My girlfriend was helping me put away groceries and she put them in the pantry. I didn't notice until five hours later. I put them back in the fridge. I have a faint hope that since they are getting boiled they'd be ok. Can I cook them or should I just throw them away?

Answer
Hi Phillip,

Unfortunately, the recommendation for refrigerated pasta is that if they are out at room temperature for more than 4 hours they should be pitched.  

The problem is that you can't tell by sight, smell, or taste if temperature abused food is still safe to consume.  Foodborne illness microorganisms do not give off any indicators that they are present.  In other words, a food that has been temperature abused may look great, smell fantastic and taste wonderful and still have you running for the bathroom.  Thus the recommendation to not take a chance and pitch the abused food.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt