Food Safety Issues/Safe to eat pork shoulder roast

Question
I cooked a pork shoulder roadt in a crock pot. I put it in a container but forgot to put it in the refrigerator over night. So it sat on the counter overnight in an air conditioned home. Is it still safe to eat? I want to shred it and then add BBQ sauce and cook it again with the sauce.

Answer
Hi Gayle,

Unfortunately, the recommendation is to not take a chance with meats that have been at room temperature over 4 hours.

While the pork shoulder roast may be perfectly fine to eat, it is possible that bacteria could have been present and some have the ability to produce a spore that is not deactivated by future cooking.  You can't tell by taste, smell or looks if a food that has been temperature abused is still safe to consume.  In fact, a food can look great, smell fantastic and taste marvelous and still make you run for the bathroom as soon as 30 minutes after consuming the contaminated food.

I wish that it was as simple as reheating a food that has been temperature abused to make it safe to eat.  But it's not...thus the reommendation to not take a chance and pitch the roast.

Sorry...

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt