Food Safety Issues/Whole pork

Question
Hi my friend bought a whole pig yesterday and brought it to my extra fridge. It took about 2 hours from the time the purchased it to the time it went in the fridge. There is now a foul smell in the fridge when I open the door. Has the pork gone bad? Is this normal? The meet is cold to the touch and the fridge is cold and working. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.

Mike

Answer
Hi Michael,

Two hours from the time of pick of the pig to refrigeration is within a safe time and should not have caused it to "spoil" in that time frame.  Pork normally does not have a noticeable odor so a strange or sour odor could mean that the pork has been temperature abused and is showing signs of food spoilage.

I would take one package of the pork out of the refrigerator, unwrap it and exam it for off odors, off color and a slimy texture.  If you notice any of these then the meat it showing signs of food spoilage.  

It is not normal for pork to have a smell so if it is still emmitting an off odor when you inspect it outside the refrigerator, I would not consume the meat.

Here's hoping the odor has dissapated and all is well today.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt