Food Science/Organic Foods

How important is it to eat organic foods?
Which foods are a necessity to eat organic?

Hi Anon,

It is very important to eat organically.  The immediate benefit is reducing chemical pollution of the Earth (pesticides/herbicides and the pollution caused by producing, packaging, transporting and spreading them).  Organic farming reutilizes natural resources and waste products and does not pollute.

There are health benefits also.  To properly grow plants it is necessary to have a healthy and vibrant soil.  Chemical fertilizers provide what is necessary for a plant to look good but do not provide all the nutrients plants need.  This causes mineral depletion of the soil after a few seasons.  The plants struggle to absorb dwindling supplies of minerals and other nutrients to produce what we need from them to thrive. Conventional farming also ends up sterilizing the soil.

Organic soils are live soils supplying all the nutrients that not only the plant requires, but also providing the building blocks plants use to construct the nutrients that we need, decade after decade of growing seasons.

Which foods are a necessity to eat that are organic? Of course I will say that it is necessary to eat EVERYTHING organic and nothing that is conventionally grown and especially not anything that has been genetically modified and THEN conventionally grown.

If I had to pick and choose only a few organic foods to put in my basket it would be broccoli, eggs, garlic and tomatoes.  But it is important to eat what you can afford or what you are willing to spend.  Buying organic today is not as expensive as it was years ago.  With further increases in the demand for organic agricultural products the price will continue to drop.

Organic foods are richer in amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals than their conventionally grown and gene altered counterparts.  

Genetically altering plants also creates unique problems by causing the plants to do more without increasing their ability to absorb nutrients (which in conventional soils are in short supply).  Changing a plants DNA to cause it, for instance, to produce a pesticide inside the plant, reduces the resources available to develop nutrients.  

Other dangers of genetically modifying plants and animals is that we do not know where in the DNA the modifications are taking place and, as a result, don't know what else in the genome that we may be affecting.

Every time you go food shopping you should buy at least one organic item, if you can afford it.  Buy as much as you can reasonable afford.  It's better for you, better for the environment and better for the small family farmer.

I hope I haven't overloaded you with information.  Please ask additional questions if you have any.

Food Science

Michael Polidori

I can answer questions about food safety issues and benefits vs risks issues related to the growing, environmental effects and health effects of conventional, organic and gene altered food (GE GMO genetically engineered), both plants and animals. I can answer questions related to the cause and treatment of nutritionally related disease (including immune related diseases) and nutritional problems related to healing physiological or nutritional injuries.

I have been studying food growing methods, regulatory rules and organic/conventional/biotechnological methods of producing foods since 1998. I have prepared materials for distribution concerning health safety issues, lack of regulation, environmental dangers and industry sponsored research of genetically engineered plants and animals. I have also created similar materials promoting the benefits of organic agriculture for not only direct health benefits but for dramatic reductions in pollution, indirectly benefitting our health. I have prepared research materials for and participated in Public Television talk and radio shows regarding the issues surrounding genetic engineering and organic foods and debated in college forums with mainstream scientific experts about the safety & regulatory issues of gene altered foods. 2000-2002 I managed booths at major North Carolina events interfacing with the public (including farmers) on organic vs GMO benefits and dangers. I understand regulatory practices, shortcomings & revolving jobs doors of the FDA, USDA and EPA and the industries they regulate. I have been involved in nutrition, health care, prescription drug, vaccine, disease, immune and wellness issues since 1997 reading and writing on the internet and in practical applications with myself, family and friends leading to paths of health, wellness and fitness.

North Carolina Citizens For Safe Food, Public Citizen, Organic Consumers Association, Union of Concerned Scientists, Environmental Working Group, PSRAST.

No Degree, but some college in the sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, Astronomy and Physics). I have also taken several courses in Logic and Philosophy. I am involved in extensive research using mainstream websites (many of which I am on mailing lists for) such as - peer-reviewed publications (The Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, others), PubMed database of research studies, National Institutes of Health, FDA, USDA, EPA, University Research libraries, hospital databases (John Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, others). I also regulary contact/correspond-with manufacturers/suppliers of food products, pharmaceuticals (including vaccines) and supplements with questions, recommendations, criticisms and complements. Every week, I learn something new!