Food Science/Sugar Preservation

I'm trying to determine the amount of sugar needed to make buttercream and ganache nonhazardous at room temperature. Is there a standard ratio, such as 3 parts sugar to one part other ingredients?  I know most standard frostings are shelf-stable because of the high sugar content, but I can't find the numbers behind the silence. Thanks so much for your help!

I can't give you a ratio.  What you need to accomplish is to have water activity of 0.7 or less.  With most icing this is easy as you have lots of sugar and limited water.  Unless you have an icing containing a large amount of water I do not think you have a problem.  Hope this if helpful.

Food Science

Carl Hoseney

Properties and structure of cereal grains. Milling of grains and their processing into food or feed. The chemistry of cereal grains and what happens as grains are processed.

15 years with USDA as a research chemist. 25 years as a professor at Kansas State University and 3 years as President of R&R Research Services, Inc.

Mainly Cereal Chemistry but many others also

PhD in cereal chemistry