Food Science/Sugar Preservation

Question
I'm trying to determine the amount of sugar needed to make buttercream and ganache nonhazardous at room temperature. Is there a standard ratio, such as 3 parts sugar to one part other ingredients?  I know most standard frostings are shelf-stable because of the high sugar content, but I can't find the numbers behind the silence. Thanks so much for your help!

Answer
Colleen,
     I can't give you a ratio.  What you need to accomplish is to have water activity of 0.7 or less.  With most icing this is easy as you have lots of sugar and limited water.  Unless you have an icing containing a large amount of water I do not think you have a problem.  Hope this if helpful.

Carl

Food Science

Carl Hoseney