Food Science/magnesium supplements

Question
Long story short my cat has severe kidney failure and one symptom is magnesium deficiency. My vet recommended half of a 200 mg magnesium gluconate twice a day but so far I've been unable to locate this pill size.

I did find magnesium citrate 125 mg softgels that I can cut and squeeze. Any idea if one of these would be a rough equivalent to the 100 mg magnesium gluconate she recommended?

Answer
Hi Theo,

I don't know what differences there are between cat and human physiology regarding absorption of supplements.

In people magnesium gluconate is used as the supplement and the citrate form is generally used as a laxative.

Do not give your cat the citrate until you CHECK WITH YOUR VET FIRST!

If you can't get in touch with your vet, then seek the advice of another vet, even if it is at an animal hospital emergency room.

One option for AllExperts -

1. Dr Bindu Anand - http://www.allexperts.com/ep/700-128922/Ask-Veterinarian/Dr-Bindu-Anand.htm

Dr Anand has the best ratings from AllExperts users and his response times are phenomenal! He is currently active and can take your question NOW!
Based on his ratings and some of his answers that I have reviewed I wouldn' hesitate to ask him for help with any vet question.

If you decide to go with one of the AllExperts vets, you should read the rest of my answer and send them all the information I am asking you for. This will give them a starting point with some basic information.

You say "severe kidney failure"... do you have any idea why this has happened?
How old is your cat?
Does he/she have any history of kidney problems?
What are you feeding your cat?
Did you have a recent change in your pet's diet (the past month)?

We have had problems with processed pet foods causing kidney failure when ingredients from China have been used.
Several years ago Melamine added to Chinese food-grade wheat gluten caused an estimated 30,000 pet deaths just in America, all through kidney failure.
The wheat gluten was very cheap, although "food-grade" means fit for human consumption.

Although most of it was reported to have been added to pet food, some of that wheat gluten made it's way into the human food supply (Del Monte was one of many companies that bought it).
I have never read or heard that it caused deaths or injury to any person.

Please ask a follow-up question and include the information I have asked you for...

BUT FIRST GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR VET!!
IF YOU CAN'T GET IN CONTACT WITH YOUR VET, FIND ANOTHER VET!!

It may be essential that you get some type of magnesium into your pet, but a veterinarian is who you need to seek out for advice, immediately.

I would consider an immediate change to whole foods. A rice/vegetable/chicken diet, organic if you can afford it, is preferable over any processed pet food.
Again, your pet's veterinarian is your first place to seek advice, especially for a dramatic diet change.
Your Vet has the records of your pet's health history and knows your pet nearly as well as you do.

Thanks for your question,
I hope your pet gets better,
Michael Polidori

Food Science

Michael Polidori