Food Science/Steam blanching (pretreatment)

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Hemaro

I do the deshydratation (drying) of the malanga lila.
Before i put it in the deshydrator i do a

-steam blanching
- add : lemon juice
In order to destroy the enzymes to prevent the deterioration of this vegetable. I am trying to keep the taste as much as possible

My time for the steam blanching is 10 minutes and than i put it in cold water for 8 minutes.
BUT i think i put(i spray on the pieces) to much lemon juice because the taste of the lemon is way to much.

How can i do the DOSAGE for the lemon juice OR should i use spirit vinegar and what would be the DOSAGE and how to add it on the vegetable?
Do you have another tip to maintain the TASTE of the malanga lila?

Thank you very much

ANSWER: Hello there!
Thanks for your message.

In first place, I would like to know what is your final product intention with the Malanga Lila.

In the mean time, I will share with you a very popular way of making Malanga in my country of origin and it is "Malanga Lila Chips" with or without garlic which is very delicious, you do not need a dehydrator and the final product lasts a long time.

Wash and then peel Malanga Lila root and slice into thin slices using a mandolin or a slicer. Line slices side-by-side on a baking sheet, coat with regular olive oil ( not X-tra Virgin ) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes  at 375 degrees Farenheit until crispy with light brown edges. Transfer to a paper towel to remove excess oil and then sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!

*You must peel the Malanga before cooking.
*Garlic is optional.
*Use a brush when applying the oil.
*You can also Fry them in regular olive oil at medium-hi heat until crispy consistency.

If I can be of any help, please contact me anytime.

QUESTION: i was thinking about the chips also, these are good tips that i will use.

In my case, i will turn the malanga into POWDER. That is why i use a deshydrator. In order to keep the taste, i do this pretreatment.

My main objective is to keep the Taste of malanga even if the deshydration process afect the taste.

How can you help me?
Lemon juice or spirit vinegar?
Dosage?
Any other tip?

Thank you

ANSWER: Hello Claude!
Sorry about the delay.
I get very busy during the Christmas Season.

You awakened my culinary curiosity and made some of your desired product.

I peeled and sliced ( into thin slices ) the Malanga Lila and put it in the dehydrator.
Then, after dehydrated, I baked them at 375 degrees Farenheit using a non-stick cookie sheet until crispy without burning.
I let them cool down for at least 15 minutes or until they reach room temperature. T
Then I put the Malanga Lila in the Food Processor using the blade attachment and I ended up with Malanga powder.

*Oil, lemon juice or vinegar were not necessary and I kept the wholesome flavor of the Malanga.

I hope this method can be of help for you and please let me know how everything worked out.

Cordially yours,

Chef Hemaro

QUESTION: you put it in the dehydrator at what temperature and for how long? at what temperature?
You baked them at 375 degrees Farenheit, it takes how long?

Answer
Hello again!
Steam  the Malanga for ten minutes. Allow to cool and place on dehydrator tray in single layer. Apply salt if desired. Dry at 130 - 155 degrees Farenheit for seven to eleven to ten hours depending of the dehydrator power. Malanga will be hard when dry.

Once completed the dehydration, proceed with baking until crispy, at 375 degrees Farenheit for 15-20 minutes, let them reach room temperature and use the food processor as I just mentioned in my last message.

I hope this information will help you

Cordially yours,

Chef Hemaro  

Food Science

Chef Hemaro