Food Science/boiling point

Question
I have a Pyrex meat thermometer and I'm using it to measure hot water temperature. I placed it, point down, into a cup and poured boiling water into the cup. The Pyrex measured 195 degrees F immediately after the water boiled. I contacted Pyrex to ask them why it measured only 195 and they said: "You are correct in the fact that water boils at 212 degrees F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level). Your boiling point drops as you gain altitude." I am in the L.A. area and I don't live on a mountain. Are the people at Pyrex correct about this? Thanks.

Answer
The Pyrex People are right.
You may not necessarilly need to live in a mountain to get that reading in your thermometer.

You may not even percieve that you live in a high level of ground.

Try to find out whow high is your place in regards of sea/ground level.

I had that problem too when I lived in Puerto Rico.

I lived in a plain area but found out that I was 2,000 feet above ground/sea level.

For me, the remedy was "try and error" until I got the trick and made adjustments with my cooking equipment.

If you need some other advice, please, contact me anytime.

Cordially yours,

Chef Hemaro

Food Science

Chef Hemaro