Food Science/Adapting overyeasted bread recipes

I've been baking bread regularly since I was a teenager (about 48 years), and I have been dismayed to see so many recipes on the Internet that take double or triple the amount of yeast as any bread I've ever made. It's as though today's young cooks are trying to turn yeasted breads into a fast food and don't understand the health implications of such yeast-laden breads. So much yeast encourages a systemic yeast infection (I've had such, and although the yeast in candidiasis is different from baking yeast, the two are related, and the latter encourages the former). I would like to try some of these recipes, but fast food is not my goal. How can I adapt such recipes for bread baking the old-fashioned way, i.e., letting a much smaller amount of yeast do its job over time instead of trying to have homemade yeasted bread in three hours from start to finish? Just simply cut the amount of yeast to a reasonable amount and let it rise until it's done its work? Or is the process likely to involve other changes?

I would approach the problem as you suggest.  Going with a smaller yeast level and longer time should work.  Without knowing the complete formula it is difficult to suggest other changes that may or may not be needed.  I would go with the old saying "the proof of pudding is in the eating" or in this case eating the bread.

Food Science

Carl Hoseney

Properties and structure of cereal grains. Milling of grains and their processing into food or feed. The chemistry of cereal grains and what happens as grains are processed.

15 years with USDA as a research chemist. 25 years as a professor at Kansas State University and 3 years as President of R&R Research Services, Inc.

Mainly Cereal Chemistry but many others also

PhD in cereal chemistry