Food Service Equipment & Supplies/Start a business

Hi Sir,
After having the idea and before making a business plan (is it required?). What shall i know/consider before entering the food industry.
PS: Location : Africa - Standard : 2-3 stars
Thank You

Whenever you enter the business arena, become a student of the subject. In this case, the restaurant industry has the highest casualty rates of almost any type of industry. My suggestion is for you to get a job in a restaurant. Work and watch how the business runs. Take note of all important details and remember the things that appear wrong.

A business plan is for structure and guidance - it wont make you or break you, but it could save you thousands of dollars and many man hours of planning and thinking when you should be running your business. A business plan is a must for lenders and investors.

The best tip I can give is this - don't tell me you are going to have good food, don't tell me you don't have much cash and don't tell me you don't have a marketing plan and don't tell me you are going to give good service - I have heard all of this from every restaurant that opens! What are you doing different??

You can have the best food in the world and the greatest service, but if you haven't done your marketing homework, few people will ever know how "good" you could have been before you closed your doors.

Food Service Equipment & Supplies

Larry Edger

Multi concept restaurant owner. Just finished fourth restaurant. Can answer questions on all aspects of running, owning and starting a restaurant, cafe or hospitality operation. Enjoy helping other restaurant owners. Most "consultants" have no idea what a restaurant operator needs to be successful. Let me know if I can assist you finding answers to your operating and marketing questions. Accomplished chef and menu development a particular talent for upscale casual restaurants.

Owner and operator of several multi-concept restaurants. Successful entrepreneur, started businesses from scratch on many occasions. Know the problems with planning and running a restaurant. Always independent operations and not the product of chain restaurants.

National Restaurant Association and many more.

Numerous magazines, websites, blogs and news media.

Attended Ohio State University and have gone through many extended classes relating to marketing and management. Written many courses and training manuals.

In my career I have been fortunate to receive many.

Not a "for hire" consultant. Just helping independent restauranteurs who need assistance.