Food Service Equipment & Supplies/Commercial Convection vs rottisserie

We are debating between a convection oven and rotisserie for our food truck. I understand they cook differently but I am more concerned about propane usage # of chickens cooked / hr and space requirements. I am leaning towards convex at this time because I think it will be more efficient. Can you help with this?Much appreciated

Your instincts are correct: You will get a moister, better end product using a convection oven. However, you might also look into a slow roast and hold oven like Bevles' Tender Touch. Unlike Alto Sham which doesn't have exposed radiants (so the birds never really get browned) the Tender Touch (Food Warming Equipment and Hatco may also have similar models) will roast, brown and hold your birds.
These are electric units that typically are available in 120 volt (at least the Alto Sham is) and don't require an exhaust hood in most cases. They are also mobile/transportable so conceivably you could take the unit out of the truck into the kitchen, load it up, set the timer for an eight hour cycle and have roasted birds in the morning cooked perfectly and held until sold. Load it into the truck and you're in business.
There are many variations of this scenario: you could have a cook and hold double stack in your kitchen and prepare the birds overnight and then transfer them to a holding oven (all the brands I mentioned also make standard holding ovens) on your truck and you're ready for business.
The health department is VERY strict about mobile foodservice (much more so than brick and mortar establishments) so anything you can do to minimize your cooking/preparation on board your truck will definitely make your world a whole lot easier.
If my scenarios don't work for you then go with a standard convection oven: since it has an enclosed cavity the health department is a little more lenient about their applications. You might take a look at a brand called "Moffat". Not sure if they are making gas models yet but they are tremendous space savers which is an advantage in confined spaces like food trucks.
Best of luck Glen!

Food Service Equipment & Supplies

BML Consulting

I have 30 years within the foodservice industry as an equipment, supplies and fine dining consultant. I have worked for foodservice distributors and more than 50 equipment, supplies and top-of-the-table manufacturers within the Southern California marketplace. I have extensive experience and knowledge in the areas of heavy cooking equipment, front-of-the-house, fine dining, wine and tablewares. I am interested in giving back to the community that has assisted in my success and I am happy to offer my unbiased expertise to those in need of objective answers. I am also certified as a CFSP professional (Certified Food Service Professional) as a member of NAFEM.

Began career in 1979 at one of the nation's most prestigious distributors, RW Smith & Co. Recipient of Three "Top Gun" awards as the best salesman in the company.
Too many awards to list from manafacturers but among those: largest sale in three years for Ventmaster ventilation systems (more than 368 lineal feet of exhaust ventilation)for the Neveda Culinary Arts Academy; "Rising Star" for greatest sales growth in one year for all territories in the US on behalf of Service Ideas; Largest increase in territory sales for Franklin Machine Products for signing two restaurant chains to a corporate program. The list goes on...

BA, Clinical Psychology
MBA, Negotiation & Arbitration

Rising Star, Service Ideas
"Top Gun" (3 years) RW Smith