Food Service Equipment & Supplies/Commercial oven hood requirement

QUESTION: In a commercial setting is a hood required for a electric convection oven? I have two being installed in a cafeteria setting (in the kitchen area) and need to know if a hood is required but am having difficulty getting an answer. Specs say: Energy efficient 10.5 KW oven direct forced air heat system, 208v, 60hz. Says UL listed.  In another section on your site, I see reference to UL197, but the link with the extended information does not open for me.  Can you tell me if there is a requirement for this? Or is it strictly up to the AHJ?

ANSWER: Dear Abby:
99% of the time a commercial Type 1 grease extracting hood is required for ALL cooking equipment. The only exception is limited (heavily restricted by most municipalities) to baking of non-grease laden products like cookies. In this application the thermostat is generally limited to a maximum of 350 degrees. Hood exemptions have to be cleared by your local health department/building & safety.
Hope this is of some help,

QUESTION: Thank you for the quick response. Can you tell me what code to reference? This is part of a renovation and hood was not initially part of the project. I need to be able to justify my position that it is required with a specific code if possible.

I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you're looking for an exemption or grand fathering due to a remodel you won't get it under these circumstances. You are obligated to install a hood if you are doing any type of primary cooking/grease-laden products. Each municipality has different codes and requirements: I am not familiar with the codes or requirements for New York since I'm based on the west coast. You can contact your local health department for a manual that will give you the requirements and codes for your area.
Good luck!

Food Service Equipment & Supplies

BML Consulting

I have 30 years within the foodservice industry as an equipment, supplies and fine dining consultant. I have worked for foodservice distributors and more than 50 equipment, supplies and top-of-the-table manufacturers within the Southern California marketplace. I have extensive experience and knowledge in the areas of heavy cooking equipment, front-of-the-house, fine dining, wine and tablewares. I am interested in giving back to the community that has assisted in my success and I am happy to offer my unbiased expertise to those in need of objective answers. I am also certified as a CFSP professional (Certified Food Service Professional) as a member of NAFEM.

Began career in 1979 at one of the nation's most prestigious distributors, RW Smith & Co. Recipient of Three "Top Gun" awards as the best salesman in the company.
Too many awards to list from manafacturers but among those: largest sale in three years for Ventmaster ventilation systems (more than 368 lineal feet of exhaust ventilation)for the Neveda Culinary Arts Academy; "Rising Star" for greatest sales growth in one year for all territories in the US on behalf of Service Ideas; Largest increase in territory sales for Franklin Machine Products for signing two restaurant chains to a corporate program. The list goes on...

BA, Clinical Psychology
MBA, Negotiation & Arbitration

Rising Star, Service Ideas
"Top Gun" (3 years) RW Smith