Food Service Equipment & Supplies/Electric or Gas Griddle

I'm DO for a multi-unit concept based in Atlanta that has been continuously operating for over 25 years. Our one location has been in the same spot for this entire time. After all this time, equipment is failing left and right. Currently, we use a 60" gas griddle for our grill items and the thermostats are failing and it's time for a new one. I've only used gas griddles in my 15 years in the business and have no experience with electric griddles. What are the pros/cons to each and what would you recommend? For reference, we sell around 2500 burgers a week and there is always something cooking on it starting around 9:30am and until 11pm-12am. At most, we have 10-15minutes of idle time during an entire day.  Thank you for any help.

Hi Dennis:
The answer lies partly in what is the most economical source of energy in your area. For most it's natural gas. If this is the case for you I would recommend NG since it will cost less to operate. If not, electric griddles are very good for your purposes since they offer consistent heat...but most cooks prefer gas since they can regulate it better.
As far as equipment choices go I have two possible suggestions:
1. The first one is made by Keating and they offer what is called a Top Side cooker. It's really a marvel in spite of older technology. It cooks from both sides (clam shell design) and will cut your cooking times in half. It features a patented technology on the surface of the griddle called "Trivelant Chromium" which means the steel griddle surface is coated with a very superior type of chrome that keeps the griddle looking new, cooking more evenly and easier to keep clean. The top-sider clam shells that cook from the top have teflon sheets attached to keep the burgers from sticking to them. Talk to the local manufacturers' rep in your area for Keating and see if they have a facility for you to test drive one of these grills. BTW: they're expensive but, trust me, when I tell you they are worth it. Also, the top-sider portion is only available as electric while the griddles can be gas or electric.
2. The second griddle is made by Accutemp and while I have a personal bias against them (they've been known to sell direct excluding the problem, not yours) they make a very good griddle. It's got a reservoir of water underneath the griddle surface that is heated (by gas or electric) and, as a result, the heating of the griddle surface is the most consistent of ANY griddle I've ever found. So from a temperature consistency standpoint I think this griddle is one of the best. Front-to-back, side-to-side, you will experience the SAME temperature throughout this griddle. Hopefully you can find a local rep (I don't think they have quite the coverage of other manufacturers but I could be wrong) to let you kick the tires.
That's the long and short of of luck Dennis!

Food Service Equipment & Supplies

BML Consulting

I have 30 years within the foodservice industry as an equipment, supplies and fine dining consultant. I have worked for foodservice distributors and more than 50 equipment, supplies and top-of-the-table manufacturers within the Southern California marketplace. I have extensive experience and knowledge in the areas of heavy cooking equipment, front-of-the-house, fine dining, wine and tablewares. I am interested in giving back to the community that has assisted in my success and I am happy to offer my unbiased expertise to those in need of objective answers. I am also certified as a CFSP professional (Certified Food Service Professional) as a member of NAFEM.

Began career in 1979 at one of the nation's most prestigious distributors, RW Smith & Co. Recipient of Three "Top Gun" awards as the best salesman in the company.
Too many awards to list from manafacturers but among those: largest sale in three years for Ventmaster ventilation systems (more than 368 lineal feet of exhaust ventilation)for the Neveda Culinary Arts Academy; "Rising Star" for greatest sales growth in one year for all territories in the US on behalf of Service Ideas; Largest increase in territory sales for Franklin Machine Products for signing two restaurant chains to a corporate program. The list goes on...

BA, Clinical Psychology
MBA, Negotiation & Arbitration

Rising Star, Service Ideas
"Top Gun" (3 years) RW Smith