Football Instruction/Downing a punt near goal line

When did the rule change that a player (punting team) could be in the end zone and down the ball in the field of play?   I thought if the player was in the end zone while touching the ball was a touch back.  Thank you

The only "change"that I read in the rules is under Article 7-- that states... "when a free kick is untouched by Team B touches the ground on or behind Team B goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to team B.  The only other reference is in Section 6 "Touchback" Article 1 subsection B. A kick becomes dead by rule behind the defending teams goal line and the attacking team is responsible for the ball being there".

Football Instruction

Marc Nolan

I can answer any football related kicking/punting and field goal related questions, to include what camps to attend and when, how to effectively analyse where you are as a kicker/punter, and how to work with your High School and College Special Teams coach.

I am the longest active kicking coach in the US (this is my 35th year) and still kick and train with the young kickers I work with. I have helped place over several hundred kickers in D1, II, and III schools, and have built specific software that no one else has done to help kickers and coaches assess the work they are doing. I am a former D1 kicker, and a former NFL walk-on punter. Lastly, I have published the first ebook ever written on the kicking industry related to how to managed the whole recruiting process and what to look out for. The ebook is entitled... "The Journey- A Roadmap for Every Football Kicking Specialists and Their Parents" . The ebook can be found on Kindle, Amazon, Scribd, Barnes and Noble.

NFL Alumni Assocation

The Journey- A Roadmap for Every Football Kicking Specialists and Their Parents" Over 100 blogs on the kicking game

University of Notre Dame Bowie State University

My clients are all D1, D2, and D3 kickers, and college coaches.