Football Instruction/JV high school football ejection

Question
My son was ejected from a JV high school football game last night for unsportsmanlike conduct.  He was being taunted the entire game by an opposing player and right before the snap, the player crossed the line and shoved him.  My son shoved back, knocked the guys helmet off, and punched him in the neck.  Both were ejected.  Are players allowed to defend themselves when attacked during a game?

Answer
Mistie,

I understand your frustration.  I am sorry this has happened to your son.

Unfortunately, as officials, we usually only see a retaliation.  The rules provide that any act of fighting requires an ejection.  The punch that your son threw is such an act.  In addition, the provoking act by the opposing player is also deemed "fighting" by the rules (if it caused a fighting reaction, which this did).  

It sounds like the officials handled it exactly as required by the rules.  Again, it is unfortunate if your son was taunted the entire game, but the officials many times can't hear this taunting.  It usually calls for a warning, and then some extra attention for the rest of the game.  But if the officials can't hear it, there isn't much they can do.  

The shove before the snap happens in football all the time.  It is a simple penalty for encroachment, unless it was excessive.  Regardless, a reactionary punch will always call for an ejection, no matter the provocation for it.  You are not entitled to throw a punch in the game of football, even in self-defense.  It will cause an automatic disqualification.

I know it isn't the answer you want, but hopefully it helps you to understand the ruling.

Bill

Football Instruction

William J. Robers