Football Trivia (General)/Football Rule.

Football Rule
Football Rule  

1. We see football players using their right or left leg for the football. According to the Football game rules, Can a Player use both his legs for hitting the ball while playing in the Game ?

Example :

The Player hits the ball with his right leg and sometimes the same player also hits the ball with his left leg in the same match . Is this allowed in the Game ?. i.e using Both his legs in the game to hit the ball. If this is allowed in the game, playing with both the legs for hitting the ball can be a difficult skill for the player ?

This question came to me because in cricket one can be either a left handed or right handed batsman. i.e if one player is a right handed batsman, he is not allowed to bat as left handed in the same innings.

2. Statistically similarly there may be more right handed legs players than left handed legs players in the football game ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant,

I wanted to send you a follow-up note explaining my inability to answer your question.  My area of expertise is "American football". i was a little rushed and I used the rejection option, which is a little brusque when someone who is asking a question.

However, I have played European football (aka soccer) and believe that using either leg is permissible. Most people only master the use of one leg, as they do with their hand/arm.

I just checked a football rule book and my assumption is correct.  Here is the quoted rule,

"Players may use any part of their body except their arms and hands".  

There is no restriction placed on the use of either leg.

Here is the website where I found this information.

Best wishes,
Jim Considine

Thank you.

1. It must be a difficult skill to achieve while moving the ball forward or backward using both the legs by a Football player.  

isn't it ?

Writing Mistake from my end.

Instead of

Statistically similarly there may be more right handed legs players than left handed legs players in the football game ?

it should be

2. Statistically similarly there may be more right footed players than left footed players in the football game ?

examples : Pele, Maradona, Platini, Ronaldo etc must be right footed players.

There must be very few Legendary football players who are left footed
isn't it ?

Awaiting your answer,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

You are correct.  Once again, I am not a soccer player, I was a lacrosse, baseball, and squash enthusiast.
As a child, the ability to move the ball by "dribbling" with both legs, going in every direction is the test that determines who would qualify for our high school team.
Left footed kickers are rare.  I am thinking about American football and the appearance of a left footed kicker is very rare.

Football Trivia (General)

Jim Considine

The subject of my expertise pertains to "American Football", as opposed to "Futball" or the game we refer to as soccer in the USA. --------------------------------------------------------- I can answer statistical questions about professional football. I am especially strong on the subject of the BALTIMORE COLTS from 1947 through 1983, Washington Redskins, and the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. My services are best used when an older, obscure question is posed. The newer NFL records are easily accessible through I do not appraise memorabilia. I am not an expert on Canadian Football, though I will take a shot at any questions you might pose. I have a good understanding and recall of the folklore about Baltimore football. Some of this information may be subjective in nature. I will give the best answer possible if this is the case.

I am former NFL Statistician with the Washington Redskins. I grew up during the days of the Baltimore Colts in the 1960's. (Please refer to the movie "Diner" for more information about the Baltimore Colts fans)

Washington Redskins Statistician, 2005-2010 Baltimore Ravens, 1996-2003

The records were used by author Jon Morgan in his book, "Glory For Sale". The records have been part of the Baltimore Ravens Media Guides since their inaugural season in 1996. I was interviewed for the cover story of The Press Box, a local, monthly sports tabloid newspaper.

I researched and was able to piece together the statistical history of the AAFC Baltimore Colts 1947-49, and the 1950 NFL Colts. This information was used by The Baltimore Ravens for their 1996 Media Guide. The records were entitled "Baltimore Football Records". It was considered "unofficial" since the AAFC league records were not incorporated with the NFL records when the leagues merged. The reason that this information was created was due to the fact that the NFL had prohibited the 1996 Baltimore Ravens from bringing the records, colors, and team name from the Cleveland Browns. The Baltimore football records were presented in order to create a frame of reference. The Ravens have kept these records since 1996, adding and amending as the Ravens football team challenge these records.

I was awarded two game balls from the Ravens and was recognized for my work as the top game day employee.

Baltimore Ravens, Wise Guides, Washington Redskins