Football Trivia (General)/2007 Brady vs 2004 Manning

Since you are a statistician I was wondering your expert opinion on which Qb had a better season Peyton Manning in 2004 or Tom Brady in 2007. Brady threw another touchdown but in about 80 more passes and in an extra game While winning 4 more games in the only 16-0 season in history.

It's funny that you should ask this question.  When I was an NFL statistician there was absolutely no banter or discussion regarding anyone's individual performance.  The reason for this was simple.  We were not qualified to render an opinion on a subjective matter.  The statisticians that I worked with spent all of their time trying to record the plays of the game properly.

Hence, I am hardly an expert on your question.

Now, on the other hand, when we are not "playing" scorekeeper, and had time to watch a game, well then we all had our opinions.

Regarding your question, let me see if I can fashion some kind of a decent answer for you.  Your question is tough to quantify since you are comparing accomplishments in two different seasons.  According to Pro-Football-Reference - ... Tom Brady lead the league in 11 passing categories.  
Checking Peyton's numbers ... he lead the league in 9 categories.  

Does that make Tom Brady better? (My answer is no) This is where the subjective aspect comes into play.
The best way for you to answer this question is to explore the website  They have a terrific option on their website where you can answer some of the most extravagent statistical questions.  It is well worth your time to play around with it in order to answer questions with the values that you consider important.

For example, my hero as a quarterback from my youth is Johnny Unitas.  According to the record books, he has been lapsed by many of the modern players.  There is no way to qualify his statistics to compare with players who compete in 33% more games per season (12 versus 16).  There is little I can do to give him back the scores of records he used to hold.

However, the main point is that the most important factor is did the team win the championship?  Unitas won 3 and lost 2.  Peyton has won 1 championship.  Brady had won 3.  

I think you will enjoy playing with the "Play Index Tool" on Pro Football Reference dot com.

Best of luck.

Football Trivia (General)

Jim Considine

The subject of my expertise pertains to "American Football", as opposed to "Futball" or the game we refer to as soccer in the USA. --------------------------------------------------------- I can answer statistical questions about professional football. I am especially strong on the subject of the BALTIMORE COLTS from 1947 through 1983, Washington Redskins, and the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League. My services are best used when an older, obscure question is posed. The newer NFL records are easily accessible through I do not appraise memorabilia. I am not an expert on Canadian Football, though I will take a shot at any questions you might pose. I have a good understanding and recall of the folklore about Baltimore football. Some of this information may be subjective in nature. I will give the best answer possible if this is the case.

I am former NFL Statistician with the Washington Redskins. I grew up during the days of the Baltimore Colts in the 1960's. (Please refer to the movie "Diner" for more information about the Baltimore Colts fans)

Washington Redskins Statistician, 2005-2010 Baltimore Ravens, 1996-2003

The records were used by author Jon Morgan in his book, "Glory For Sale". The records have been part of the Baltimore Ravens Media Guides since their inaugural season in 1996. I was interviewed for the cover story of The Press Box, a local, monthly sports tabloid newspaper.

I researched and was able to piece together the statistical history of the AAFC Baltimore Colts 1947-49, and the 1950 NFL Colts. This information was used by The Baltimore Ravens for their 1996 Media Guide. The records were entitled "Baltimore Football Records". It was considered "unofficial" since the AAFC league records were not incorporated with the NFL records when the leagues merged. The reason that this information was created was due to the fact that the NFL had prohibited the 1996 Baltimore Ravens from bringing the records, colors, and team name from the Cleveland Browns. The Baltimore football records were presented in order to create a frame of reference. The Ravens have kept these records since 1996, adding and amending as the Ravens football team challenge these records.

I was awarded two game balls from the Ravens and was recognized for my work as the top game day employee.

Baltimore Ravens, Wise Guides, Washington Redskins