Football: UK/Football Goal Rules.

Question
Football Goal Post
Football Goal Post  
Dear Daniel

I would like to know the rules for considering a Football Goal.

1. In the ATTACHED image of Football Goal Post, if the Ball touches the net within the Goal Post, is it considered as a Goal ?.

I am sure the answer is Yes.

2. In the ATTACHED image of Football Goal Post, if the Ball doesn't touches the net within the Goal Post, but the Ball lies in the rectangular red area highlighted is it considered as a Goal ?.

3. In the ATTACHED image of Football Goal Post, if the Ball doesn't touches the net within the Goal Post, but the Ball touches the outside line of the rectangular red area highlighted i.e the line where the goalkeeper is standing is it considered as a Goal ?.

The second and third case is possible because the Goalkeeper may not be able to hold the ball kicked by the opponent and the ball slips from his hand doesn't touch the net but the ball either touches the outside line or lies within the red rectangular area

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

"1. In the ATTACHED image of Football Goal Post, if the Ball touches the net within the Goal Post, is it considered as a Goal ?."

Yes, as long as the ball crossed the line within the goal posts, the ball touching the net would mean the ball is the full way over the line resulting in a goal.

"2. In the ATTACHED image of Football Goal Post, if the Ball doesn't touches the net within the Goal Post, but the Ball lies in the rectangular red area highlighted is it considered as a Goal ?."

Yes, the ball does not need to touch the net to be considered a goal, only to FULLY cross the white line, if the ball is, lets say, 75% over the goal line but 25% of the ball is still sitting ON the white goal line, it is NOT a goal, the ball needs to be 100% over the white line to be a goal.

"3. In the ATTACHED image of Football Goal Post, if the Ball doesn't touches the net within the Goal Post, but the Ball touches the outside line of the rectangular red area highlighted i.e the line where the goalkeeper is standing is it considered as a Goal ?."

I pretty much answered this in answer 2 however like I said, if the ball is 100% over the white line (the ball is fully over the white goal line and no part of the ball is touching it) it IS considered a goal, however if he maybe fumbled it and grabbed it where say 75% of the ball is over the goal line but 25% of it was still touching the goal line this is technically NOT a goal, the ball needs to be 100% over and clear of the goal line.

Hope this answered your questions sufficiently, please ask me anything more you would like to know,

Daniel

Football: UK

Daniel Mustapha