Football: UK/Goalline Technology

Question
Third Umpire
Third Umpire  
QUESTION: Dear Daniel

Ref video clip
--------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV4nc_sjW9Y

In Cricket Game there is a third umpire who is referred for a decision to be given for a player to be declared out or not out. The Third umpire checks the video recorded and then gives his decision, the third umpire is not on the field but is in the pavilion dressing table, two official umpires are actually on the cricket field.

Now considering happening above in cricket game, In Football if there is no goal line technology, in future the concept of third umpire decisions can help overcome this problem ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi Prashant,

Yes, I understand the concept of the DRS and all that.

However Cricket is a game that stops and starts, therefor it seamlessly fits in and you can review a decision in a stop in play, however Football is a game of motion, the play is normally never stopped.

A review system would help overcome problems like in the video you attached, however I feel Football bringing in goal line technology would have to be implemented in another way to the Cricket DRS.

For instance, in Hockey, which is a game of constant motion, they have a sensor on the line or similar and when the puck crosses the line a small light behind the goal lights up. They are playing around with several ideas as far as I am aware.

Something like this would allow the referee to accurately determine whether the ball has completely crossed the line and can within seconds decide to award the goal or not therefor resulting in no stop in play. Allowing him to allow them to play on if the ball has gone back into play after an incident occurs or of course blow the whistle for a goal.

I hope this answered your question, if not please ask me again and any other questions you may have.

Daniel

QUESTION: Dear Daniel

Thank you.

Do you feel if DRS System is introduced in Soccer World Cup Matches,
it can solve the purpose ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umpire_Decision_Review_System

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Personally no as I said World Cup match or not I feel Football is a match that shouldn't be stopped to review decisions and would need some sort of instant system such as the light behind the goal I suggested in my other answer so the referee can answer immediately without stopping play.

Daniel

Football: UK

Daniel Mustapha