Ford/F-150 Sudden Acceleration

f150gal wrote at 2010-10-05 21:02:42
I've had this happen also on my 2000 F150, thankfully, it is a stick and it was in neutral. I thought the engine was going to blow up. Since, I have had a lot of trouble with the truck, throwing codes. You can check the TPS but it may be a computer problem, that is my next step anyway.

SCHunter wrote at 2011-01-14 17:19:28
Is this truch a drive by wire throttle or does the pedal directly control the linkage? in a drive by wire system the computer can automatically bump up the idle speed when it thinks the engine is under a load. You admitted to stepping on the brake pedal as you were turning the steering wheel. The on board computer saw a load from the power steering pump and a vacuum loss as you stepped on the brake pedal thus making an "informed" descision to raise the engine speed to compensate.It does that by activating the stepper motor which opens the throttle blade. Having said that, when was the last time you cleaned your throttle body? A little carb spray and a rag can work miracles. A TPS code following this instance could be caused by the computer asking " what the hell just happened ?" or because it saw the TPS reading stay high for too long.

Jack wrote at 2012-10-24 13:28:15
Oh my gosh....... I have a 2005 F250... with only 35,ooo miles on it.  A few months ago this happened to me and as you, I thought my floor mat or something like that happened or it was just my fault.  Since then it has happened three more times, last night being the worst!  It suddenly accelerated and came within a gnats hair of hitting my storage building.  I plan on calling my ford dealership first thing this morning and making an inquiry.  After reading your posting, and some others I know that something is serious and may cause an accident or death!  Let me know if you ever found out what the cause was..... God Bless!  

Jerry wrote at 2015-02-05 22:16:22
I have recently experienced this with my 2007 F-150. My mechanic checked and could find nothing. Most recently it happened in heavy traffic and I was lucky to avoid an accident. Not sure what to do at this point. Any mechanical fix for this?

Ford

Ragu