Ford Repair/Lincoln Nav GEM question

Question
Hi, Brian...
RE:  2001 Lincoln Navigator 4WD

Determined windshield leak has caused corrosion to GEM and junction box.  We found this out by heater blower remaining on after key was off, and it totally drained the battery.

Two questions, please:

1.  If we seal the windshield and stop the leak, and the junction box and other component dry out, could this solve the problem?
2.  If we do have to buy the two parts, and our personal mechanic puts them in, do they have to be programmed by Ford first or ?  The parts I am looking at are not the OEM, but comparable that will fit.  

Thank you for your help!

Answer
it will work when dried out but, only for a little while. once the corrosion has set in, it will only spread. Unfortunatley- yes the gem and fuse panel should be replaced together but it will need to be programmed... This was a very very common concern, it's too bad you were another victim of this as this problem started as far back as 1997 with the windshield leak !!!!

Ford Repair

brian