Ford Repair/Bad converter/blown line

Hi, I have a 97 thunderbird with a 3.8.  The right cat. Converter has been rattling.  It finally got plugged up last night apparently and blew a line under the hood.  Problem is I don't know where the vacuum leak is but it is substantial and the car runs poorly.  Actually, it won't start anymore.  I rapped on the converter a few times and it ran better but that's not helping anymore.  I thought it had to do with the EGR valve but I'm not certain where it is located.  Best I can tell its atop the engine, in the rear, behind the plenum.  There is a 1/2 inch metal line connected. I could be mustaken though.  Also the leak seems to be on the left side near the firewall.  That's where I see exhaust but still can't find the leak.  Any thoughts!  Thanks!!

what seems like a vacuum leak and the bad cat is most likely the cause combined of the poor unning or not start. if the converter gets clogged or restricted, the engine can't breath. the egr valve is located right where you thought on the left side of the enngine, it will be at the end of the half in tube your seeing, best for us to start is to have you unbolt the exhaust pipes where they meet the manifold and check how it runs, keep in mind it's gonna be loud !

Ford Repair

I can help you to answer most vehicle questions dating from 2000 and on. cars and light trucks relating to ford electrical. air conditioning, heating, brakes, steering and almost all driveabilty concrns. I am well versed in the area of Fords new sync/ford and lincoln my touch systems.

I have worked for Ford for the last 15 years and recently received my master technician status.

Ford master tecnician. Ford certified in steering, suspension, brakes, climate control, electrical and driveability concerns. light transission concerns. as well as certifed in Fords new sync/Ford/Lincoln mt Touch systems

Ford master technician